We run an annual competition to provide funds of up to £1,000 per applicant for unfunded PhD students and postdocs (within three years of completion) to facilitate their attendance of, and participation in conferences. This is in recognition of the difficulties faced by ECRs in raising the funds required to take part in these events. We welcome applications from early career scholars around the world, working in disciplines across the social sciences.
The competition is announced each autumn to support conference attendance the following year. A list of previous recipients can be found here.
- Applicants must demonstrate that they plan to give a paper at the conference taking place in the following year
- Applicants must not be in receipt of other funds such as DTC, University and ESRC scholarships, or postdoctoral funding with specific allowance for conference attendance.
- Applicants must not be in permanent academic position or in receipt of a full-time wage. However, we will accept applications from ECRs on teaching only fellowships on a full-time wage with a contract for 12 month or less who are not given access to institutional or research council conference funding.
- Postdoctoral applicants must be within three years of the award of their PhD.
- You have not received this conference award in previous years.
- The funding cannot be split across different conferences.